Ann Arbor logo
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 18-0370    Version: 1 Name: 4/2/18 - E Medical Center LBP Application
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 4/2/2018 In control: City Council
On agenda: 4/2/2018 Final action: 4/2/2018
Enactment date: 4/2/2018 Enactment #: R-18-112
Title: Resolution to Submit a Funding Application under the Local Bridge Program to Perform Preventative Maintenance on the E. Medical Center Drive Bridge over the Wolverine Line
Attachments: 1. 2018 LBP Complete Funding Application - 180228.pdf
Title
Resolution to Submit a Funding Application under the Local Bridge Program to Perform Preventative Maintenance on the E. Medical Center Drive Bridge over the Wolverine Line
Memorandum
The attached resolution is a support document for the Local Bridge Program funding application being prepared for submission to the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT.) Staff has prepared an application packet for the E. Medical Center Drive Bridge over the Wolverine Line (formally known as the Norfolk Southern Railroad) that requires preventative maintenance in order to keep it in good condition and maximize its service life.

The Local Bridge Program is funded with State and Federal funds. The program pays 95% of a project's eligible construction costs. The local authority is required to fund the remaining 5% of the construction cost as well as 100% of the design, construction engineering, and material testing costs.

The deadline for delivery of the Local Bridge Program funding applications is May 1, 2018. This resolution authorizes the City to submit applications for Local Bridge Program funding with the intent to commit the necessary funds for design, construction engineering, testing, and the 5% match for construction cost should our bridge be chosen for funding.

Currently, the anticipated scope of preventative maintenance work that is planned is the complete removal and replacement of the existing paint system; removal and replacement of the expansion joint assembles; removal and replacement of the latex-modified concrete wearing surface; upgrading the guardrails; repair of the bridge railings; removal of the brush and trees that have grown immediately adjacent to the structures; and, other related work. Also, it may be necessary to remove and replace some corroded steel diaphragms under the expansion joints, however it will not be certain that work is necessary until a detailed inspection is performed as part of the final design of the project. The ...

Click here for full text